Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Part two of the death hike


Ok so we arrive to Angel’s Landing in Zion National Park in Utah. Grad some sandwiches, a couple of Cliff bars (totally appropriate) and I am pumped! We got out of the car, its cold in the shade so I layer up with a pants, a wind breaker and head up the mountain. It’s now like 73 degrees so it doesn't take long for me to shed my jacket. The weather is perfect!! Keep in mind I have been training for this so I am ready, but about 20 minutes in I am sweating like crazy. Jeff is like “you are like sweating, are you ok?” I found a bush, ditch my pants and I feel like a brand new person. I am wearing my not so typical hiker attire, I got my shorts lined with pink stripes, I got my pink shirt, I got my pink visor and my pink breast cancer bracelets on, this pink lady is ready for anything.

About 2 hours in we get to the sketchy part and I plaster myself to the rock and hold on tight to the chain. The people who we met on the way up are behind me and laughing. I am like inching my way up sideways, holding on to the mountain. Jeff skips up the mountain like a little monkey and tells me to freakin walk upright like a human and it will be much easier. "You look ridiculous!" “I don’t care, this chain is here for a reason and I am not leaving it!" He heads up and I tell the people behind me that my fearless leader has left me but is all good cause I’m becoming one with the mountain. They were laughing and said that at least I had a sense of humor. I make them laugh a little bit and I finally start to man up, get my bearings and realize I can walk upright like a human, all is good. I dig deep, forward motion and just go for it. I scaled up the mountain, trying not to look down and just focus on getting to the top. I am now shocking the hell out of myself; I feel zero fear and make it known. I am not scared at all and just do it, oh but not before Jeff points out the exact spot the last lady lost her footing and falls to her death, thanks Jeff. We get to the top, chit chatting with the same family we keep passing and I am feeling good. We are now like 2000 feet up and the view is amazing! I did it, I made it to the top, I told Jeff I was freakin proud of myself and he said "you didn't just do it, you killed it!" Yeehaw! I cannot disagree, he said that every time he comes to this park he leaves a better person and I totally understand what he is saying.

 I love hanging out with this kid, he brings out my inner bad ass and I love it. Last time I was leaping off tall cliffs into the Colorado River and now I’m scaling tall mountains. Once I do it, all I want to do is find the next challenge. Next thing I want to do is repel and sky dive. My little skittish self was just an illusion; I am an adrelin junkie just waiting to happen. So we have lunch at the top, relax, breath in and out, then head back down the same way we came up. Now I get to pause and check out the view, its breath taking. My job is done; it took three hours to get to the top and one hour down. It’s time to head to the bed and breakfast and relax!

Part 3 tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment