Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Here goes nothin!

Today is monumental, here it is Halloween and I did not each one piece of candy! The office was infested with it and Miss Chocolate USA did not have one piece of it! I deserve some kind of medal; I just sat there, ate my cucumber slices and pretended like they were Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I don't think I have ever been this disciplined in my life even when I trained for the marathon. I distinctly remember sitting at my desk last year and eating an obscene about of candy to the point of physical sickness. But this year, I feel great and I am ready for my trip.

 
The reason behind this insane eating/workout regimen is as follows. Tomorrow, when I fly out to Vegas, Jeff and I then drive to Utah to hike for a couple of days. This is not just any hike; this is THE hike, a very very dangerous hike that involves a sheer cliff. This cliff is called Angel’s Landing at Zion National Park (Google it) and it’s no freakin joke. Once you get to the top of this cliff (I've watched several videos) you get to walk across a narrow path with a 1500 foot drop on one side and a 800 foot drop on the other with nothing but a hope, a prayer and chain to hold onto. If you trip or make one wrong move on this particular part of the trail you are a gonner, no if, ands or buts. BUT my Dad had asked me to think only positive things and stop talking like that, so I am going to concentrate on the not dying part and focus on the fact that this is my Grand Canyon.

 
People ask me, why take such a risk? Well I'll tell you, I don't want to pass up an opportunity to go on one of the best hikes in the world and I owe it to myself. A few years ago I trained for 5 months to hike the Grand Canyon. This was an event through Team in Training and I raised all kinds of money for cancer research. Instead of going to the airport to meet my team, I took a detour to the hospital and stayed there for the next 4 days. I had Viral Meningitis and had to miss the hike. People were calling me from the airport asking where I was but I couldn't answer because I was busy getting a spinal tap. SO this is why I a want and need to do this hike. I am super excited and hopefully after a few hundred chats with God on the way up the mountain I will have the experience that I missed out on. Here is where all of you come in, I need for everyone to take a moment, send up a prayer, toss a few pennies in a fountain, blow some eye lashes off of your finger, pick a four leaf clover whatever brings me the most luck and strength to make it a success, I would appreciate it.

 

Much love to everyone and I can’t wait to get back and tell you all about it.

 

WISH ME LUCK!!!!! (seriously)

 

1 comment: