Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Toto? Kansas? I am so confused

Well this is my 400th post on this blogging journey and it’s kinda fitting that I am about to discuss a tornado. A tornado is kinda what has been described over the past 399 posts, one long, drawn out perfect storm.

Last night I am sleeping, minding my own business, the wind starts to pick up at alarming speeds and beating against the window above my head. The people on my ceiling are even stirring around up there (I haven’t heard them in months). I jump up out of bed, turn the News on and immediately the tornado warning alarm is going off for my county. ENH ENH ENH Danger Danger! Then the tornado siren starts going off outside, I was not prepared for this! Then my phone starts spazing out with the new Emergency Weather Warning text from someone in the government. I immediately start having a talk with myself. Ok, stay calm Stephanie, I know you are terrified of tornadoes and you are on the top floor and the weather girl is telling everyone to get away from the windows, get in a basement and you’re surrounded by windows and have no basement but calm down anyway. Get your butt in the kitchen and see what the Doppler radar has to say. Oh ok good, its downtown Nashville and multiple tornadoes are sprouting up all over the surrounding areas. The News lady announces my road is in line with one of them and she says it is headed in my direction and it will be here in eight minutes. Eight minutes?! How do they know this? What in the hell is gonna happen in eight minutes? I know, the sirens will get louder and the wind will pick up to 105 MPH. Get in the closet woman! I get in the coat closet near my front door so I can hear the TV; the power is flickering and all I know is that I have reached maximum blood pressures. I have heard several times that a tornado sounds like a freight train, damnit if a freaking train didn’t come steam rolling down the track right beside my apartment at about seven minutes into the eight minute warning!!! Holy freaking heart attack!!! I realize that it was an actual train and not something that was about to raise to roof, literally. So I calm down just enough to call Will. It is like 330am and he needs to wake the F up! I was shocked when he answered the phone, I told him I was in the closet and gave him the low down. He told me he was going turn on the TV and see what was going on and call me back. Ok cool, I will just take a seat on this here workout ball and hang out with my coats. He texted me like 45 minutes later, “you are ok”. Um ok thanks, I will crumble into my bed now. I am pretty sure he fell back asleep and woke back up long enough to text me that. I finally got back to sleep around 430am safe and sound ...shewee that sucked!

 
I woke up to the News and learned that the winds reached 115 MPF and there were 8 tornadoes that touched down that night in and around Nashville, see I wasn't freaking out for no reason, I would never do that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment