Saturday, July 23, 2011

still day 9

Just got back from my walk/run, I scoped out a new path in my car this morning. On this walk, I realized that their are different categories of Southern people and I passed all of them this morning. In order of class, we have: Farmers, Country folk, Hillbillies, Rednecks and Trailer Trash. I have decided on a definition for each of them:

Farmers: Have neat, manicured pieces of land with livestock and other various animals roaming around along with some sort of garden and/or crop growing.

Country folk, have nice yards and gardens but no livestock, just a couple of dogs and are most likely yelling for their kids to come in for supper, who enjoy the piece and quiet, love to through BBQs and drink cold beer on a Friday night with the neighbors.

Hillbillies: dignified red necks, they are country bumpkins with yards that are not as neat, but not too junky, clothes lines full of their old T-shirts and long johns swinging in the breeze, an old guy sitting in overalls on a rocking chair,spitting dip in a can, a couple of rusted yard ornaments and an old basset hound laying in the driveway

Rednecks: Have 2-3 cars (one of them on blocks) in their front yard, 4-5 riding lawnmowers, 3 washing machines, a tractor, dozens of mason jars and radom junk. They rarely mow their grass, have rug rats running around in their diapers and kids running around with grocery store feet. (I saw this exact house today)

Trailer trash: live in trailers, no money to speak of, people gathered under a shade tree discussing not politics but probably whose turn it is to try and buy beer with their food stamps, clothes on the line, an actual truck cut in half and using the back of the truck as storage, not sure where the front of the truck went...and all doors and windows wide open wide due to the lack of AC units.

As I am walking, I realize that no matter what "class" I have so eloquently thrown these unknowing people into, they all seemed happy and friendly, they all waved and asked me how I was doing...I love it...or maybe I am just thirsty for human interaction and I will take what I can get :)

No comments:

Post a Comment